Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number SG100002543
Historic Name DOWNTOWN ALTUS HISTORIC DISTRICT
Description of Significance THE DOWNTOWN ALTUS HISTORIC DISTRICT (DISTRICT), AT THE HEART OF THE CITY OF ALTUS, JACKSON COUNTY, OKLAHOMA, IS LOCALLY SIGNIFICANT FOR THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES UNDER CRITERION A IN THE AREAS OF COMMERCE AND GOVERNMENT. THE BOUNDARIES OF THE DISTRICT ENCOMPASS THE HISTORIC COMMERCIAL AS WELL AS THE COUNTY AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENTAL RESOURCES THAT COMMUNICATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF ALTUS. THE DISTRICT BOUNDARIES ARE THE ALLEYS BEHIND THE BUILDINGS THAT FRONT THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE ALONG WITH ONE BLOCK NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE SQUARE ON MAIN STREET, ONE BLOCK SOUTH ON HUDSON STREET, AND ONE BLOCK EAST ON BROADWAY. THE SIXTY RESOURCES INCLUDE FORTY-TWO CONTRIBUTING AND SEVENTEEN NON-CONTRIBUTING RESOURCES, AS WELL AS ONE RESOURCE PREVIOUSLY LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER. THESE RESOURCES WERE BUILT BETWEEN C.1900, PRIOR TO OKLAHOMA STATEHOOD (1907), AND 2013. WHILE MANY OF THE BUILDINGS HAVE BEEN ALTERED IN SOME WAY OVER THE COURSE OF THEIR HISTORY, MOST BUILDINGS CONTINUE TO COMMUNICATE THEIR HISTORIC COMMERCIAL FUNCTION. TWENTY OF THE BUILDINGS WERE CONSTRUCTED IN THE FIRST DECADE OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY AND BY THE START OF WORLD WAR II, FIFTY-TWO OF THE EXTANT RESOURCES WERE CONSTRUCTED. THE 1960S REFLECTED A SMALL BUILDING BOOM WITH NEW CONSTRUCTION AND STOREFRONT UPDATES THAT CORRESPONDED TO LARGER DEVELOPMENT TRENDS IN ALTUS. THE NOMINATED BUILDINGS AND STREETSCAPES FORM THE HISTORIC COMMERCIAL CORE SURROUNDING THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE AT THE HEART OF ALTUS. THE DISTRICT FUNCTIONED AS THE CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT OF ALTUS SINCE THE TOWN LOCATED THERE IN 1891. AFTER OKLAHOMA DECLARED STATEHOOD IN 1907, THE FORMER GREER COUNTY WAS SUBDIVIDED INTO SMALLER COUNTIES AND RESIDENTS ELECTED ALTUS AS THE COUNTY SEAT OF THE NEWLY SUBDIVIDED JACKSON COUNTY IN 1910, REQUIRING THE CONSTRUCTION OF A COURTHOUSE. PRIOR TO COMPLETION OF THE CURRENT JACKSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE (NR LISTED 1984) IN 1911, THE SECOND STORY OF 109-111 W. COMMERCE SERVED AS THE TEMPORARY COURTHOUSE AND OFFICES FOR COUNTY SERVICES. THE BUILDINGS LINING THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE HOUSED A VARIETY OF COMMERCIAL FUNCTIONS ESSENTIAL TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A GROWING CITY, SUCH AS GROCERIES, DRY GOODS STORES, CLOTHING STORES, JEWELRY STORES, BOOT AND SHOE STORES DRUG STORES, HARDWARE STORES, PROFESSIONAL OFFICES, AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS. THE DISTRICT IS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF A COMPACT AND COHESIVE COMMERCIAL CORE SURROUNDING A COUNTY COURTHOUSE. THE PERIOD OF SIGNIFICANCE BEGINS CIRCA 1900, WITH THE ESTIMATED DATE OF CONSTRUCTION OF THE EARLIEST EXTANT RESOURCE IN THE DISTRICT, AND ENDS IN 1965. THIS IS THE ESTIMATED DATE BY WHICH THE DISTRICT IS BUILT OUT TO ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION AND STOREFRONT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO REFLECT CHANGES IN AESTHETICS AND IN RESPONSE TO COMPETING SUBURBAN DEVELOPMENT. LISTED ON THE NATIONAL REGISTER 06/11/2018.
Current Name SAME
Address MAIN STREET, BROADWAY, HUDSON STREET, AND COMMERCE STREET
City ALTUS
County JACKSON
Lot
Block
Current Section
Township
Range
Type DISTRICT
Historic Function COMMERCE/TRADE, RECREATION: THEATER, DOMESTIC: HOTEL, GOVERNMENT: POST OFFICE, GOVERNMENT: COURTHOUSE
Current Function COMMERCE/TRADE, RECREATION: THEATER, GOVERNMENT: POST OFFICE, GOVERNMENT: COURTHOUSE
Area Signficance 1 COMMERCE
Area Significance 2 GOVERNMENT
Date Prepared MARCH 2018
Year Built 1900-2013
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder C.E. HAIR AND COMPANY (ARCHITECTS), ROWLES AND BAILEY (CONTRACTORS)
Architectural Style LATE 19TH AND EARLY 20TH CENTURY REVIVAL/CLASSICAL REVIVAL, ROMANESQUE REVIVAL, STREAMLINED MODERNE, ART DECO, MODERN MOVEMENT, OTHER: EARLY 20TH CENTURY COMMERCIAL
Roof Material VARIOUS
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material VARIOUS
Door Material VARIOUS
Decorative Details
Condition POOR TO EXCELLENT
Comments PERIOD OF SIGNIFICANCE: 1900-1965
Restricted